Beginning ketogenic diet will require bits of research to identify if this form of high-fat and very low carb diet will work for your lifestyle and nutrition needs.
What is a Ketogenic Diet?
You may be asking yourself by now what is Keto diet since probably you may have not had the opportunity to come across the name before. This diet is just a diet that is low in the number of carbohydrates and fats. Keto diet is so full of health benefits that can be reaped from following the plan such as helping you in your weight loss, control of diseases such as diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s disease, and the overall improvement of someone’s general health.
To get the full health benefits from your Ketogenic we will elaborate the perfect keto diet plan you should follow as shown below.
Is Ketogenic Diet Good for Runners?
Most marathon runners uses a strict diet to fuel their training and marathon races. They have in their arsenal the basics of having a proper runner’s nutrition – planning a great pre-race meal, consuming the right amount of protein, carbohydrates-rich recovery diet and to drink and hydrate well.
But will a high-fat, low carbohydrates diet really works for runners?
Let’s take it from Brett Osborn who is neurosurgeon and and adviser to a famous nutrition and supplement site. He says “So why not go into the race, for example, already in a robust fat-burning state? Endurance athletes in particular will benefit from the Ketogenic diet because during long sporting events, their bodies are running primarily on fats and/or ketones,”
What Foods Should I Include When Beginning Ketogenic Diet Plan?
You may have been willing to embark on that keto diet plan for a while now but you don’t know what to include in your diet. Worry not the following list of foods will guide you well when it comes to this. Make sure your diet plan includes most of the following food list to reap the maximum from the plan.
- Include all types rich in fats fish e.g Salmon, Trouts, Tuna, and Mackerel.
- All types of meats that are red and white meats e.g Steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, and turkey.
- Eggs that are pastured and those that are rich in Omega-3 ones.
- Cream and butter from dairy cows that have been feed on natural grass as much as possible.
- Go only for that cheese that has not been manufactured such as cheddar, and cheese from goats.
- Seeds and nuts diet; Include those flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts.
- All oils that are considered healthy for the body such as coconut, avocado, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Go for those fresh avocadoes.
- All vegetables that have low levels of carbohydrates such as veggies, tomatoes, onions, and more.
- Any healthy herbs and spices like salt and pepper.
4 versions of Keto Diet Plans
The keto diet varieties include;
- The SKD (Standard Ketogenic Diet); contains very low carbohydrates, protein amount in moderation, and high-quantities fat diet. At a ratio of 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fats.
- The TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet); in your diet you have that freedom to include carbohydrates especially when having workouts.
- High-protein Ketogenic diet; it only differs from the SKD one in that it has more proteins as compared to the latter. Contains 5% carbs, 35% protein, and 60% fat.
- The CKD ( Cyclinical Ketogenic diet); follows a format where you have some days of high amounts of carbohydrates refeeds which are then followed by 2 other days of high carbs intake.
What Foods Should I avoid in My Keto Diet Plan as a beginner?
Try as much as possible to stay away from all meals that contain high amounts of carbohydrates. In the following list of foods you will find any of the foods you are advised to stay away from while on your keto diet plan as a beginner.
- All foods that contain lots of sugar such as juices made from fruits, ice creams, cakes, and more.
- Any products made from wheat, grains, and starches such as rice, pasta, and cereals.
- All sorts of fruits you can only try strawberries in small amounts.
- The legumes foods class, that is the peas, lentils, chicken peas, cowpeas, beans, etc
- All manufactured diet products contain low fats and have high amounts of carbohydrates.
- Avoid alcohol as much as possible.
- Stay away from all varieties of manufactured vegetable oils.
If you stick to the above-mentioned food lists on what to eat and what to avoid as you embark on beginning ketogenic diet plan, all will fall into the intended place and you will get the best results out of your keto diet plan. For more information on how to go about the whole program, you can check this resource.